|More sharing options at the end of the article |
By Kitchen Queen
If you have spent time in South Asia you have very likely had Chicken Jalfrezi – the quintessential desi-Chinese dish whose origin is bit of a mystery. Don’t quote me but according to Wikipedia, “The name comes indirectly from Chinese and from Bengali jhāl (spicy food) and Urdu/Persian parhezī (suitable for a diet).” Also according to Wikipedia, Jalfrezi has become the most popular dish in UK Indian restaurants.
Here’s a bonus suggestion for the health-conscious: you can skip the butter, and grill the marinated chicken on skewers. Add onions, tomatoes and peppers to the skewer and enjoy delicious kabobs!
- Chicken – 1.5 lbs, boneless, kabob style pieces
- Green bell peppers (capsicums) – 2 medium, seeded and sliced
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Garlic – 2 tsp, crushed
- Ginger paste – 2 tbsp
- Tomatoes – 1 lb, chopped or canned
- Red chili powder (cayenne pepper) – ¼ tsp or to taste
- Turmeric powder (haldi) – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil – ½ cup
- Butter – 2 tbsp, melted, can substitute for cooking oil or ghee
- Lemon juice – 4 tbsp
Ingredients for Garnish:
- Fresh cilantro (hara dhania) – fist-full, chopped
- Green or red bell pepper (capsicum) – sliced
- Lime wedges
- Marinate the chicken with all the dry spices and lime juice and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry garlic until light brown.
- Add onions and fry until translucent.
- Add chicken to the pan and fry on medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on all sides and cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes and ginger, fry for a few minutes.
- Reduce heat, cover the pan and cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary to prevent from sticking.
- Stir in the butter (optional but recommended) and add lemon juice.
- Simmer covered for a few minutes
- Garnish and serve with steamed rice or hot naan.
Marinating Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes